Friday 5 July 2013

All play and no work...

Another week goes by and i can blissfully say, progress has been made. Though very small amounts (got to start the ball rolling somewhere right?).

To start what seems like an exhaustive process I've finally began following a short series of tutorials i dug up off the Internet to begin learning the UI and general controls of UDK. The videos are well rehearsed, give good insight  and offer a wide array of options for each method of arriving at a solution to creation - I find this beneficial as it will teach more non linear ways to solve any problems and prefer this method of teaching personally.


I don't think learning UDK will be my main downfall - I'm quite quick at learning (especially things i find enjoyable ultimately and progressively). My main problem is all the ideas i seem to have lately. I've been playing quite a lot of games and wrestling the thoughts in my head of what are seemingly cool mechanics for games, but then, How do I implement them into a game? Is it fun? Is it unique? Then goes the story aspect of possible games, Who are the characters? What is the story? What is the world? I like all these aspects when thinking up ideas, both big and small. Though i fear my biggest issue when the time comes to creating my own ideas in a game format is, Will i be committed enough?




Well, the general consensus that seems to shroud the game industry is, from my understanding; Everyone has ideas. Everyone is talented. Everyone is creative. So, ultimately, what can i (anyone) else do to separate themselves from the huge amount of creativity in this industry without being fearful that their ideas and designs aren't good enough.


Perhaps though, I'm over thinking what it means to be a designer? And should focus more on my love and ambition to just create games and ideas for fun rather than what i think the industry needs & wants. After all, games are seldom created by one person.


Being at university seems to have given me a shrewed opinion on what it takes to be a professional designer, albeit that seems the case with most industries in this day and age. It seems the case that we're not going to make our dream game, we're not going to work for the company of our choice, we're not the next best thing to come into the industry. Well, that dampens the moods of all budding professionals. It's a flaw in the education that demeans the students and stunts their growths. I feel the negativity will only impact my ability to want to create and that shouldn't be the case. I need to shoot beyond the stars (cheesy yes) - But what's the point of being told nothing will come of anything and it will generally be menial. I strive to create. I want to be told there's no limit, not shot down at the first hurdle.


So, general ramblings aside. I'm looking forward to getting my hands deeper into UDK and any other engine i feel ready to learn over the summer and eagerly await my next year at university. With the next gen on consoles and games coming out it will only fuel my imagination more to want to create something awe inspiring - If only to myself at least.

                                                   Curiosity is the engine of achievement

No comments:

Post a Comment