Friday 12 July 2013

From here to there and there to here.

So another weekly blog update - I need to draw in more viewers some how ^_^. Anyway, I've decided to put on hold the learning process for the remainder of the summer. A few reasons really; I'm really enjoying getting back into single player games (I'll get back to this later) & feel that i'd like to enjoy the summer months before i get back to my studies - I don't want to fry my brain for no reason :)

So I've been playing a few games lately, Tomb Raider, World of Warplanes, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2 and Sonic & All stars: Transformed. All good games and I find them enjoyable, mostly with unique features and compelling stories (For the single players) which keeps my mind racing with potential ideas.


Onto random ramblings anyway. I backed a kick-starter project called Godus (Made by 22cans) not long back. With their unique take/adaptation on god mode games and constant developer vlogs via youtube I was compelled and will eagerly await this game. As a side part to this, the lead designer; Peter Molyneux will be attending my university to guest lecture so I'm very excited for this.


Along with this game I looked at Ubisofts current alpha game; The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot. I feel the game industry has a giant influx in free to play games. I feel that with the success rate of kickstarter project this is both good and bad for the game industry. I have to say though, that companies like ubisoft see to strive to destroy this payment model that is becoming ever popular - I talk primarily of Pay2Win. These kind of games award players who have the ability to just throw money at the game and progress through content at an alarming rate - Whilst I understand companies have to make money, there's other methods to do this. It severely impacts multi player games like this because players would rather not play against others that have amazing items/loot/gear just because they are willing to throw money at the game. I feel this destroys games that have such promise like this and will weaken the genre of any game type that will be created at a later date.

I'll wrap up here with saying that i've not really talked about anything of merit in this weeks blog, but will continue with random thoughts and slowly progress towards useful articles at a later date. Steam sales are upon us and many games are ready for playing during the summer.

                                                   Curiosity is the engine of achievement

No comments:

Post a Comment